Sunday, June 1, 2014

Menstrual cycle - A blessing in disguise for women


Namaskaram

Image courtesy of res.mindbodygreen.com
Blessing in disguise
Master Nava always says that women are very lucky because we have a menstrual cycle to tell us if we are healthy and signal us if something is wrong with our body. I know some of you might be cursing to hear such a compliment. At first, I was equally skeptical to accept the fact that the menstrual cycle is indeed a blessing in disguise for me.

Do you know that every woman should have a 28 day cycle and every cycle should be painless? This is how it is supposed to be. A perfected menstrual cycle is 28 days (start counting from the 1st day of your period to the 1st day of your next cycle), nothing more, nothing less. Certain women experience at least 2 days of pain before their period and 2 days of period after they get their period. Some of these women go through very bad pain that they tend to vomit, have dizziness, loss of appetite and many more. This should not be the case at all.

Take me for an instance, during my younger days, I was an ice-cube addict, I chew on ice-cubes and literally take them off from my freezer and put them in my mouth. Yes, I was an addict. This contributed to massive pain before and during my period. It was just unbearable. Fortunately, when i got pregnant with my 1st child, i stopped it for the benefit of my baby. Consequently, the addiction stopped. After my pregnancy, my period was at 32 day cycle and it has been that way since I did my 1st shatkarma (yogic detoxification, I shall write more on it later). After my 2nd detox session, my cycle started to drop from 32 to 31, 29 and finally to 28. It has stuck to it since then. My period starts without a fuss and ends without a fuss, the only I know I got my period, is if i got it, no pain, no fuss. It just came and went, it bothered nobody. Isn't that just nice.

Besides shatkarma there are other yogic lifestyles and yoga asanas that you can do to regulate your cycle.



What to eat and drink


  1. Avoid all heat-y food, the heat is not good for the body and it disrupts your body from its normal function. It is important that the glands are not in shock due to heat and continue to produce and control the release of necessary hormones that your body require to give you a perfect menstrual cycle and a healthy reproductive system.
  2. Ice-Cube and iced drinks is heat-y. I understand all the issues with the heat waves these days in Malaysia, try to keep iced beverage away from you 2 weeks before your period.
  3. Try to eat more vegetables and keep a 70% vegetarian diet. Try to take food with less heavy spices, to keep the heat low.
  4. Drink fenugreek water. Take 1 teaspoon of fenugreek and put it in a glass of water. Keep it overnight and let the fenugreek soak in the water. Drink the water in the morning. Fenugreek is known for its benefits to improve the reproductive system.

Asanas


Matsyasana (Fish Pose)

This pose will work on your glands and help to regulate hormones that works with your menstrual cycle.
Image courtesy of http://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/

  1. Lie down on your back on your yoga mat.
  2. Fold your leg in padmasana
  3. Use your hands to hold your feet / just use your elbow to curve your back into an arch.
  4. Let your neck stretch
  5. Your crown must touch the mat. (This is the pulsating point on her baby's head)
  6. Stay in this position for 1 minute.
  7. Unlock yourself slowly. 
  8. Preferably do this in the morning before food.









Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose) 


This pose helps to tone up your reproduction organs. It also helps the blood to flow to the reproductive organs and rejuvenate the organs to work better.
Image courtesy of charmedyoga.com


  1. Lay down on your yoga back on your back.
  2. Bring your knees up and your feet flat on the ground.
  3. Hold both your ankles with both your hands. Hold it firmly.
  4. In this position, slowly bring your buttocks up till your chin touches your chest.
  5. Stay in this position for 5 minutes.
  6. Preferably done in the morning before food.










Surya Namaskaram

This routine naturally helps to restart the body in the morning and stretches your muscles in the morning. It also helps to blood to flow regularly and give your body systems a good start. Click here to learn about this routine.


I wish all women out there to have a regular, perfect menstrual cycle and cheers to a better health.

No more pain, no more fuss :)

Peace, Love and Harmony
Om

No comments:

Post a Comment