Saturday, June 14, 2014

ENT's Best Friend



Namaskaram
Image Courtesy of www.houstonent.com

My Respiratory Problem

Throughout my life, I wished I could breathe by my nose for one whole day without getting any nose blocks. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it. But Yes, I was literally wishing for such a simple thing.

Whenever I get up in the morning, my nose will have this dry block that feels like a thin layer is covering my airway and it is difficult for the air to get through. Hence, I use my mouth to breath, that could have been a huge contributor to my bad temper.

Mouth Breathing

A short explanation on mouth breathing and why you should not do it
For an example, you are sick and have a blocked nose due to flu. You are left with no choice but to breathe via your mouth. Can you count the number of times you have snapped at people and get irritated for no reason during this whole period of time? I am sure it is uncountable times.

Back to my story. In addition to my dry block, I tend to sneeze when there is a change of temperature in place i am in. E.g. When i move from a outdoor sunny area into an indoor air-con room, or vice versa, i experience this problem.

Many recommended me to undergo minor operations for my sinusitis, but i refused. I lived with it, hoping it will find some cure for it some day. Master Nava told me that cure when he noticed my dry block during shoulder stand during class. I am going to share it with you today.


Black Peppercorns


Image courtesy of dailyperricone.com

I must say I grew up having a very bad stomach ache every time i ingest these. But this is what Master told me. Take 5 peppercorns chew them nicely, enjoy the nice feeling and taste in your mouth (I suffered the first few days I ate them). You can only drink water after 10 minutes (Yup, trust me, that is the longest 10 minutes of my life!)

Karpuravalli and Tulsi Leaves

Karpuravalli Leaves. Image courtesy of http://life-thegreatestjourney.blogspot.com/

Tulsi Leaves, Image Courtesy of dreamstime.com

He also told me to chew on karpuravalli (Plectranthus Amboinicus) and tulsi leaves as these are natural traditional herbs known for flu and phlegm.

Small Raw Indian Onions



These are small and powerful cure for flu and phlegm. They are traditionally known as a cure for respiratory problems such as cough, flu and phlegm when ingested raw. It is also recommended to use your hand to peel them and not use a knife. I peel these using my fingers and pop them into my mouth like a nut. It gives a sharp citrus, spicy sting to your throat and penetrates to your nose from your throat. It feels as if it is killing all the germs and bacteria in my respiratory track. It is a great feeling.

With all these, I can finally breathe freely with my nose without all the dry block and nonsense in my way. I still have my phlegm and slight flu every now and then, but it disappears quickly. I cannot believe i am saying this, but my tummy ache from ingesting pepper-ish dishes and raw pepper have vanished and i just love the taste of these leaves in my mouth. Especially Karpuravalli has a very mint-ish taste that leaves a very fresh taste in my mouth.

My child-friendly invention

My daughter suffers from the same problem now. She only three and her nose is extremely sensitive to changes of temperature, dust and very frequently she goes down with flu. Doctors and modern medicine did not solve the problem once and for all. So, I decided to give me the same herbs, but I had to make it taste better so she would ingest it.

Ingredients

  1. 3 to 4 large Karpuravalli Leaves
  2. 7 to 8 tulsi leaves
  3. 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper or 7 to 8 black pepper corns
  4. Honey

Steps

  1. Add both the leaves and peppercorns into the pounder.
  2. Pound leaves and peppercorns until they become a paste. You can add some water if you need to.
  3. Transfer paste into a container, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey. Mix well.
  4. Give your child 1 teaspoon a day. I do mine every day, because I don't believe in refrigerating these herbs. So, you will notice my picture shows a lesser number of leaves.






Hope this will be a blessing to everyone as it was a blessing for me and my family. :)

Wishing you a great deal of Peace, Love and Harmony
Om




No comments:

Post a Comment